DIY Glitter Mugs

Most days I'm a monster drinker. I've been drinking them since I was in high school but even before that I was a coffee drinker. My grandma used to give us sips of her coffee and my want for it never went away. When I started dating my husband we would start drinking coffee on the way home after getting off work and when we moved in we started our tradition of getting sets of cups and mugs. Our last set of cups were pretty disappointing considering I was really excited about them. So I started looking into how to decorate them because I turn everything into a crafting session:)

What you will need-
Mug or cup
Glitter (fine or chunky it's really by your preference)
Dishwasher safe Mod Podge or regular
Alcohol
Cotton balls
Paint brush
Painters tape
Stencil (optional if adding a design)

Lets get started! start by washing your mug and dry it off good with a cloth that doesn't leave lint behind.

Next run the area with an alcohol wipe or alcohol on a cotton ball to take off the oil from the area. Let it dry before you continue with the next step.

Run your painters tape around the bottom of your mug leaving about an inch below to glitter your mug, you can put it higher if your mug is bigger. Adjust your tape to make sure it’s completely leveled around the bottom or leave it slanted to give it a glitter dipped look.

If you made a stencil on your personal cutting machine (Cricut, Silhouette etc..) now is a good time to  put your stencil down as well.

Start brushing over some mod podge to cover the area but not too much to where it is thick and dripping, apply glitter and let it dry. After 15 minutes or so apple another layer of mod podge and glitter. I did a total of 3 layers before I let it sit and dry. Finish with one more layer of ONLY mod podge and let it dry.

Peel off tape and stencil before it is fully dried and let it dry some more. According to the dishwasher safe mod podge you have to let it dry for 23 days, which I did do and I was able to wash it in my dishwasher after. It takes time but it works. You can use the regular and apply Triple Thick as the last layer and it works as well but I would only hand wash just to be safe.

There you go! Now go glitter all the cups you have before everybody’s gets home.

For svg designs to use on your glitter much check out my free svg finds here.

No comments:

Post a Comment